As a physio with an interest in the shoulder I have been fortunate enough to work with some of the world’s leading experts in this area in various settings, and have learnt much from them. However, I also found that there is an overwhelming amount of confusing and conflicting research, opinions, and methods in how best to assess and manage shoulder problems, many I found are overly and unnecessarily complicated and this never sat well with me.
This left me wondering there must be a way to demonstrate how keeping it simple is both effective and evidenced based for the management of many things including shoulder problems, and how the overly complicated methods and procedures don’t actually add anything more.
So I have designed my own course that demonstrates although shoulders are complex, they don’t have to be complicated.
This fast paced, infomation packed course is firmly based in the latest research as well as my clinical experience, and demonstrates how all our assessments and treatments are surrounded with uncertainty, and how they are not as specific or sensitive as many would like to think. As distressing and confusing as this may sound I show how this can be the exact opposite, and how it can allow you to focus on what matters more, the patient.
This course has been developed over a decade of experience and has taken two years of painstaking work, and has even lead to three clinical research trials.
Now in its third year, and hosted in locations both nationally and internationally, these courses aim to be informative, informal, and fun. Presented in my own unique and occasionally controversial style we explore the myths and misconceptions and bull shit that surround the shoulder and look for simpler ways forward!
For an idea of my course, please see this short video below…
The course aims to give ALL therapists the confidence that simplifying the shoulder is evidenced based and effective, as well lots of useful, practical helpful hints and tips that can be put into practice immediately.
All up coming dates and venues are listed below and bookings can be made online by clicking the links next to them, or emailing the local organisers.
Key Course Objectives
- Simplify your assessment and management of the most common shoulder issues
- Expose the myths around shoulder anatomy, biomechanics and pathology
- Explore the evidence on our assessments and diagnosis of shoulder issues
- Examine how best to assess shoulder movement, muscle function, proprioception, and the kinetic chain
- Evaluate shoulder exercises and progressions with chances to practice and reherse ideas
Course dates and venues:
- 28-29th Jan: SGS College, Bristol, UK, Details and Booking: SOLD OUT
- 18-19th Feb: Berkshire NHS Trust, UK: SOLD OUT
- 25-26th Feb: Stockholm, Sweden. SOLD OUT
- 27-28th Feb: Ystad, Sweden. SOLD OUT
- 11-12th March: Spire Elland, Halifax, UK. SOLD OUT
- 17-18th March: Belgium, SOLD OUT
- 25-26th March: Bodo, Norway. SOLD OUT
- 31st March: Drammen, Norway. SOLD OUT
- 1-2nd April: Oslo, Norway. SOLD OUT
- 29-30th April: Vancouver, Canada. SOLD OUT
- 2nd May: Portland Oregon USA, Simplifying the Shoulder: SOLD OUT
- 5-7th May: Chicago, USA, Hips/Shoulders with Erik Meira: SOLD OUT
- 20-21st May: St Peters Hospital, Essex. SOLD OUT
- 26-27th May: Nijmegen, Holland: Details and Bookings SOLD OUT
- 10-11th June: Holy Cross Hospital, Surrey; Details and Bookings e-mail: email@example.com
- 1-2nd July: Thun, Switzerland; SOLD OUT
- 12-13th Aug: Ambleside, Lake District, UK; Details and Bookings; here LAST FEW PLACES
- 19-20th Aug: Berkeley St, Central London, UK; Details and Bookings; here
- 9-10th Sept: Malta: Details and Bookings please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 7-8th Oct: Letchworth, Herts, UK: SOLD OUT
- 21-22nd Oct: Rome, Italy: Details and Bookings; here
- 4-5th Nov: Loughborough Hospital, Loughborough, UK; Details and Booking; here
- 18-19th Nov: Darent Valley Hospital Dartford, Kent, UK: Details and Bookings: here
- 25-26th Nov: Crystal Place Park, London, UK: Details and Bookings; here
- 26th-27th Jan: Nijmegen, Holland: Details and Bookings here
- 3-4th Feb: Ipswich, UK: Closed Course Sorry!
- 24-25th Feb: Perth, Australia: Details and Bookings here
- 3-4th Mar: Townsville, Australia; Details and Bookings here
- 7-8th Mar: Sydney, Australia; Details and Bookings here
- 10-11th Mar: Melbourne, Australia; Details and Bookings here
- 14-15th Apr: Kilkenny, Kerry, Ireland: Details Coming Soon
- 28th-29th Apr: Milan Italy: Details Coming soon
- 12-13th May: Helsinki, Finland: Details Coming Soon
- 8th-10th Jun: Hip and Shoulders with Erik Meira: London, UK: Details Coming Soon
- 31st Aug-1st Sept: Copenhagen, Denmark: Details Coming Soon
- TBC in Sept: Hip and Shoulder with Erik Meira: Las Vegas USA: Details Coming Soon
- 28th-29th Oct: Israel: Details Coming Soon
If you wish to host your own course, please email me at ShoulderCourse@hotmail.com